Saturday, July 16, 2011

Homecoming plus a delicious jicama slaw recipe

Today was my third day back at CrossFit.  I can't even fully explain how happy and excited I am to be back in the gym.  I've missed my CF friends and I've missed being put in a position to really challenge myself.  There are a dozen other reasons but that's enough for now. 

I discovered this Jicama Slaw recipe online two weeks ago when I was looking for a side dish to go with the puerco pibil I made.  This slaw recipe was so good I decided to make it again this week.  Please excuse the crappy photo

The prep is time consuming but worth it!

Jicama Slaw



2 carrots, peeled and julienned
1 small jicama (about 1 1/4 lbs.), peeled and julienned
1 large red bell pepper, cored and very thinly sliced
1/4 head red cabbage, cored and very thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced lengthwise, rinsed, and patted dry
6 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish (I use a lot more)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
Prep all veggies and place in a large bowl.  Combine remaining ingredients and whiz up in a food processor or blender.  Pour over the veggies and toss to combine.  This keeps great in the fridge for a few days.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment