Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tequila lime chicken with green onion slaw

Another great dinner.  I'm on a roll!

I was a little skeptical of the slaw at first but I think it turned out great and it got a thumbs up from my husband.

The idea for this meal came from Smitten Kitchen and I followed the recipes almost exactly.  I have made tequila lime chicken in the past and was never very impressed with the flavor, but the flavor in this recipe was really good.  Perhaps it helped that I used chicken tenders instead of full breasts since there is more surface area exposed to the marinade.  Recipes below with my notes in italics





Tequila Lime Chicken
Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa

1/2 cup gold tequila
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 to 6 limes)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper (1 pepper seeded)
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (3 cloves)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 whole (6 split) boneless chicken breasts, skin on (I used chicken tenders)
Combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, chili powder, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken breasts. Refrigerate overnight.


Green Onion Slaw
Bobby Flay

My only eensy concern about this dressing below is that the next day, it looked a bit gritty. It certainly tasted as good as the first day, but didn’t look as pretty, thus if appearance is a primary concern, I’d just make the dressing right when you need it. (I didn't have any problems with this.  I made the dressing the night before and it looked fine the next day)
One more slaw suggestion: I always store my chopped cabbage and vegetables and dressing separately, mixing them a few minutes before I serve it so they don’t get watery or soggy. (again, I think it's fine at least overnight)
1 cup green onions, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 serrano chiles (seed them if you want less spice, leave the seeds if you want it spicy.  I deseeded one and left the seeds in the other)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup pure olive oil (I used 1/4 cup and I think it had plenty of fat)
1 head purple cabbage, finely shredded
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
Blend green onions, vinegar, chiles, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and oil in a blender until emulsified. Place cabbage and red onions in a bowl, add the dressing and stir until combined. Fold in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment