Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Randomness

I really need to do better with keeping this blog updated!  There have been lots of times I've wanted to write but I've just been short on time to do it.

Last week I took kind of a 'deload' week with my training... I ran 3 days but I did less mileage, and took it pretty easy with the weights, too.  This week I'm back to my scheduled workouts.  Tonight was a 5 mile run, and after Sunday's squat heavy session (5x5 backsquats and bench press, then 150 squats and 60 pushups), running was very, very difficult.  For some reason my DOMS took a couple days to develop, so even though I rested Monday it really hit me today and my quads were stiff and sore.  A couple times during my run I had to apply a fair bit of pressure to the muscles with my thumbs to get them to loosen up, along with some stretching.

The other thing I'm kind of having problems with is fueling.  I tried a gel (Hammer gel, huckleberry flavor) today about halfway through and I just don't like it.  It digests fine, but when I use sugar or carbs during my run I end up with mad carb cravings for the rest of the day, and then I overeat.  So far, I'm really liking a little bit of dark chocolate before a run because I get a little sugar, a fair bit of fat, and a little caffeine kick, and I think coconut oil during the run with a little bit of dried fruit works too.  I may experiment more with those fuel sources to see if I can make that work on the longer runs.  I just have to figure out how to make it a little more portable.

Last Saturday was my birthday and I had a great day!  I got a super sweet cookware set from my husband.  I have had the same 'cheap' (it was $60 when we bought it, and that was a lot of money at the time!) cookware set for 10 years, since we got together.  It was nonstick, came out of the box warped, and has probably been flaking teflon and chemicals into our food for the past couple years.


This cookware has seen better days!
 And this is what I now have... a shiny new 13 piece set of Calphalon tri-ply!



I also decided that instead of going out for dinner (yuck) I would make some slow cooked ribs.  They turned out excellent.  Recipe to follow!

There are officially 4 training weeks left until the half-marathon, and I'm getting a little nervous.  I know I will finish, but I hope I can finish with a semi-respectable time.  I think the most nerve wracking part is the heavy training volume over the next few weeks.  C'mon body... stay strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment