Thursday, May 19, 2011

Vitamin C, l-glutamine, and sleep to the rescue! Plus, the next big thing?

Just a quick update...

I have been feeling lots better the last couple days.  I took a few days to really focus on getting good sleep and have been following a simple vitamin c protocol (3 grams of vitamin c spread throughout the day) to help bring my stress hormone levels down.  I'm also taking a gram of l-glutamine daily for good measure.  Since I've been supplementing the quality of my sleep has really improved.

I'm a little nervous since I've still been tired and unmotivated to put much effort into running this week.  Tuesday I did an easy 3.5 miles with lots of walking, and today I did 4.5 miles with a little walking.  Saturday is my last long run before the race... going for 10 miles. *gulp*  Next week is my official taper and I have a few short runs scheduled, and a big chunk of rest towards the end of the week.

The thing is, I know I can do it.  I have no doubt I will complete that 13.1 miles on race day.  I am just growing tired of logging so many miles per week.  I am not cut out to be any type of distance runner.

To avoid the post-race blues, I've been seriously considering what I want my next goal to be.  For the last few months I've been really excited about the possibility of going back to CrossFit.  Now, that's a topic for a whole other post, but I'll just say that I am kind of hesitating now... I'm undecided about going back.

The other thing I have been considering is working on some bodybuilding stuff.  I'd really like to shed some more fat and put on more muscle.  The only reason I'm hesitating to jump full-on into it is that it's an aspiration but there's no real goal, and right now I think I need a goal to focus on.

So, things are up in the air right now.  I'm going to take about two weeks after the race to adjust my diet and figure out where I want to go with things.  For now I'm using most of my free time to steep in some heavy nutrition and exercise literature.  I'll update more on what I'm reading in the near future!  One thing for sure, whatever plan I choose I'm doing it paleo-style  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment